Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rachel Rawlings


Yesterday was such an amazing day! We got to meet the kids for the first time and I loved it. We rode to our village in rickshaws and arrived at the school. When we went into the school, there were about forty beautiful girls sitting in a tiny room. They were really shy at first, but pretty soon we had their complete trust. I don’t think they stopped smiling the whole time we were there. There was one girl named Pria who quickly became my favorite. When we made bracelets with them for the craft, the girls came and tied them on my wrists, so by the end, I had about ten. I felt so loved. The hardest thing for me was seeing these girls who are so happy, but who have so little. They are always smiling and we are able to tell each other our names, but there isn’t much we can talk about besides that. I want to ask these girls deeper questions. I want to learn about their lives, their families, their struggles. I want to know what they think and feel. I can’t wait to go back to see these girls tomorrow!
We spent some time going around the village and learning more about the people. I have never been treated with so much honor and respect in my life! It was really hot and humid, and they had women and girls surround us and fan us as they spoke to us. They fed us food, and performed rituals in which they gave us their blessings. It was so inspiring to here how hard these women work for their rights, and yet, how poorly they are treated. I am so excited to be here in India, and I wouldn’t trade the experience I’ve had so far for anything.

2 comments:

The Cantors said...

Hello to Everyone! Nate Cantor's dad, here... but don't tell him I've written or he'll roll his eyes, growl and disown me! Thanks to all of you for your perceptive and intimate writings! From coconuts to crazy drivers, mangled Bengali to dances in the rain, from huts to new friendships, you all are giving us the opportunity to see the India you see. More than that, you are letting us see who you are. The writing, the photographs and the experiences are beautiful. Our deep appreciation goes to the Bairds and all of YMAD for helping so many lives take so many new paths.

The Cantors

Anonymous said...

Rachel! I loved your blog and I'm so jealous of everyone who is there. Love you and hope everyone is doing well!
Love Mary