Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Meggie Egan


Wow what a day it has been! These young girls are amazing and I can’t even describe how excited they are to see us. After we finished making our bracelets one little girl came up to me with the biggest smile on her face and started wrapping the bracelet she made around my wrist. I couldn’t believe that she would think to give me that. These girls have nothing and they chose to give the bracelets away. I have so much fun with them, even though there is a language barrier it doesn’t even matter. As the time for the morning school came to an end all the girls grabbed my hands and kissed my cheeks.

As we left the day boarding school we got to experience what the villagers everyday life was. We arrived to one family’s home and they had set out six chairs for us to sit in while all the mothers and grandmothers sat down in front of us. They shared with us their rights and expectations that they have in their society. I couldn’t believe what they were saying. They are expected to be married no later than age 12 and their marriages are arranged. You are shunned if you do not have children no later than age 20. Their expectations are so high. I couldn’t even imagined having to be married that young . We got the chance to meet this amazing women who had nothing and who were so thankful to have us in their homes. This has been a life changing experience and I can’t wait for more adventures and to create more memories.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MEGS!!! we loved reading your blog! I am so happy you enjoying your trip! keep it up and remember to write what you feel there in the journal!:) I love you tons and home isn't the same without you!
-alex

Anonymous said...

It's so good to see and hear from you!!We miss you tons and love seeing and hearing from you. Keep blogging or email so we can live it with you. We're so proud of you and love you tons!! Love mom

mads said...

Meggie! it is so great to hear what you are up to in India. Everything sounds so amazing and I'm so happy for you! We all miss you here at home, me and Kell were talking about how much we miss you today. I love you and can't wait to hear more of what you are up to.
xoxo Madi.

Anonymous said...

Megan!
We miss you so much! We're glad you are having such an amazing experience. Take lots of pictures and we will see you soon!
Love you!
Kiersten and Emma

Anonymous said...

Megs,
So happy to hear about your adventures! Hope you will share all of it when you return and we can't wait to see you. So happy you are having such a great experience! Enjoy every moment and we'll see you soon!
Stephanie