Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kimi Rasmussen


Oh my hellen. What an amazing past couple of days. We’ve come so so far with our kids in our village school and our day boarding school. In our village we were having full on conversations with them. I look forward every day walking into the school and hearing them scream hello to us. The thing that gets them most excited is talking about is the difference in our lives. I show them pictures of my friends and family and they force themselves to create sentences in English to ask questions. It really is amazing, they are so smart to be able to learn a completely different language. They all have so much passion. I can’t imagine leaving them on Thursday. Last night we went out around the market. It is CRAZY. We saw a guy sitting there holding a chicken in the fish market and it was just flapping its wings and I was searching for its head, but it was chopped off. It was so gross. Also we keep finding HUGE spiders in our room and gross bugs under our bed mats. I swear here I can’t be afraid of bugs it’s really weird. The spiders are honestly no exaggeration 4 inches maybe bigger. SO GROSS. We also did our wash, by stomping on our clothes with water in the buckets until we thought they at least would smell better. Ayways…
Today we went to the Day Boarding school for the last time. We went early so we had time to play as many games as we could with them before we had our cultural exchange which would end in sad goodbyes. They did their dances and we did ours (which really were shameful compared to theirs haha) we did our last dance and it just started a huge dance party with all the girls. See, this is why I love dancing so much. We may not understand a word of Bengali but we can dance and laugh all we want together and have so much fun. After 3 songs it was ended and we sang our last song. Which is “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz and “3 Little Birds” by Bob Marley mixed. I shouldn’t say I sang it because I couldn’t stop crying. Singing the lyrics “Don’t worry about a thing cus every little thing is gonna be alright” was too hard to get out. The fact I want so badly for everything to be alright for these girls is what made it so hard for me to get through. They have so many “things” to get through. I know it is so hard to promise everything will be alright. Robert said tonight that in that moment we all realized life wasn’t about us, it was about making other people’s lives around us better, and he couldn’t have been true. Then the crowd of little girls started to realize why we were all crying and really it just went downhill from there. We sat and cried in each other’s arms and it was one of the most memorable moments I have ever had in my life. It was so bittersweet for me because I realized then that we actually meant something for these girls and how much I loved them and then saying goodbye, probably forever just made it so much harder. I want so badly for them to stay confident and to stay in school and I want to be here to guarantee it. Tonight we also got our outfits from the tailor ohhh my theyre so pretty. Anyways, tomorrow we are off to the jungle. It should be an adventure. Sorry for such a long blog, there’s so much to tell! Can’t wait for tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I have tears right now. You're also touching our lives here back home and inspiring us. Way to make a difference! I'm so proud to call you my sister.
Love you forever,
MEG

Rodney said...

Kimi,
Thanks for sharing that experience. And thanks for spending the last year getting ready to make this happen. I can't wait to hear all about it from you in person.
Be careful of those big tigers--I still hope you see one though.
Love ya,
Dadio

Lauren said...

kim i love you so much! and i miss you! your doing such a good thing i cant wait till you get back and i can tell you all my stories and you can tell me all your amazing ones! miss you baby girl!
love Lauren