Saturday, November 21, 2009

Nate Cantor


This expedition has been eight kinds of crazy. Each day is more amazing than the last. Just today, I worked with three girls who were having a conversation with me in near perfect English, and they had never even been outside their village before. These are the kinds of moments that that I live for; where I merely point them in the right direction, and then watch as they take that guidance and turn it into something that is exponentially more meaningful than anyone could ever imagine, something that will shape the rest of their lives for the better. There is no better feeling on this earth.
But beyond what has been happening with my girls, I have learned a little about this beautiful country. Dr. S. Chakraborty is one of the physicians here at Nishtha and he was kind enough to tell us about the people who live here. He said that while seventy-five percent of the people in this region are poor, living on only 100 dollars a month (about 4,500 rupees), they are able to support their families and survive, they do it with dignity. I’ll close by saying that before you pity the poor man, remember that he does not live like a poor man.

4 comments:

The Cantors said...

Nate, what a stunning photograph! That's one for your college portfolio or for a gallery! It's good to hear from you again. I'm glad that you (all of you) are finding such immense value in the simplest of interactions, in the quiet gestures of giving on both sides.

Ms.P forwarded your last blog to other teachers and it drew quiet a bit of attention! Senor Sellas asked Evan if he was related to you and told Evan, "You should be more like him." Evan seemed pretty proud when he told us this.

We're proud of you and love you. I wish, for your sake, that you could stay longer, but, of course, we'll be ecstatic when we see you again.

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Nate,

Your above photo is phenomonal. I'm so proud of you. Isn't it amazing how these experiences change our point of view about the world? I love volunteering. That's why I work at Bo's Place; to help grieving families move through their grief journey.

I love you. Please post a photo of yourself. I think I saw a photo of you with your hair cut. I love it and think you look handsome.

Keep up the good work.

Love, Auntie Susan

Anonymous said...

Stunning photo!
Life is such a mystery and yet to find what stirs your passion and brings your talents to the world is a gift of undeniable strength and purpose.
What is poor? Wealth? One's self-dignity, attitude, and efforts create our stature in life.
Can't wait to see you, listen to your words and view your photographs.
Love you,
Aunt Roberta

Anonymous said...

Nate- aka The Hebrew Hammer!
haha what up man. dude you guys are so lucky to be in india, im so jealous. i know all the other comments above mention the photo you took, but i have to say its pretty tight. i want to see the other pictures you got from there. i wish i was there. anyways have a good rest of the trip. see you guys next week.

Richie