Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Katy Rupe

Wow, we’re having such a time! I seriously love every second that I’m here. Not only do I love the people I’m with but I love the girls that we teach. They love my blond crazy hair; all they do is pet me. I get such a kick out of it! We just got back from our little excursion in a Tiger Park…pretty intense. We saw a ton of monkeys and a crocodile! Good thing we didn’t go swimming…

On Sunday, we had to saw bye to our DBS school girls. Everyone had their own expectations of how the day would be. We all knew it would be hard. But we weren’t too sure how it was going to go down at all. So we arrived to the DBS and had time to spare with the girls to just play games and teach a little more English. We all tried to soak up all we could from those girls – every smile, hug, and laugh. After that, it was time for our cultural exchange. We went in a huge room with all the girls and sat down to watch the girl’s dances and wait for our turn. They were amazing! Then it was our time to display our culture. We did all our songs and dances. Our final song was a combination of “I’m Yours” and “Three Little Birds.” As we preformed the song ALL of us were crying. One of the last lines is “ ‘cause our time is short, this oh this is our fate, I’m yours.” That seriously killed me! The little girl that sat on my lap turned and looked at me with a confused look, wiped my tears, and pulled my face close to hers and squeezed me tight. I think she was trying to tell me everything would be okay and that I need to be strong. It was hard to be strong when you have like five sobbing girls in your arms begging you not to leave. I would give anything to take them all home with me and give them the education and love that they deserve!

Teri and I were talking after that experience. I was telling her that I never knew I could be so in love with these little girls and only know them for a week or so. Teri, being so wise replied, that it just shows us how much in our lives material things get in the way of getting to know the real people and opening our own horizons. I just have never been inspired by people in my entire life, like I have been here.

P.S. Mom, I did get to have crab at the tiger camp, not lobstah though. Your comment made me teary, you’re amazing. Have fun in Maine! I love you more than anything in the world. Please have an ice cold diet coke waiting for me though, I’m cravin’. Love you all! See you soon.

Katy Rupe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you and I will have a "huge diet coke" awaiten for ya! Happy Thanksgiving ....Mom