Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Espen Earl


This last past week with the children has truly been one of the most remarkable experiences of my seventeen years. I never expected that the children would have such a big impact on my life.

Before the trip to India, I was more interested in the activities we would be doing after working with the children: shopping, traveling, and being with my friends, but now I am devastated that I am not working and helping educate the children. I had such a great time being with them, and it was such a great reward to see their growth through the past week. They started out as shy children with little confidence that were too afraid to interact with us. At the end of the week I could truly see their growth. They were willing to sing, dance, and play with the YMAD gang. They also amazed me with how well they spoke English! On Sunday, our last day with the children, I would carry on conversations with the girls that I thought would never had happen earlier on in the week. As we spoke English they went out of their way to teach me Bengali, and it was a blast. I never expected that leaving them would be so hard. It was great to see how much they grew in such little time.

As I sit here in the Sumdarban tiger preserve I can’t help but think of what a great experience I had with the children. Someday, hopefully I will be able to come back to West Bengal, and I truly can say that this adventure has had a positive impact on my life!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Espen, we are so glad that you have embraced this wonderful and challaging experience. We have all enjoyed this with you in small way through the blog. Tell Eden or whoever labors so diligently to keep us posted Thank You! As I stood on the bench the other night after a 2-1 defeat against Judge I was saying to myself how much we needed you at the game. But it didn't take long to remember that you needed so much more in a distant land. Enjoy the remainder of you time. We are proud of you. Love dad and mom.

Unknown said...

I miss you, but I am so glad that you have been able to make a difference in India. I love you and I am so proud of you.
Love, Mom.

Scott and Lindsey said...

Espen, I love being able to read this! It's so fun to hear your thoughts about this amazing experience. I'm so grateful you've been able to spend some time in India. You're already an awesome kid, but I'm sure this is making you grow even more!! Can't wait to see you! Don't give me scabies.

Love, Linds (and Scott)

Anonymous said...

Espen

Dude, hockey team needs you back man. not looking good! they lost to judge on monday, im pissed ha. you better step it up when you get back. ha just playing man. dude i wish i was in india with you guys, sounds like a freakin blast. you guys are so lucky to get to go there. but anyways, have fun the last couple days.

Richie

PS- you better bring me back something dope. i watched out for megan while you were gone... you owe me man... haha jk