Friday, November 20, 2009

Maired Mcnally


Thursday November 19

Every day gets better. I am amazed every night when I go to bed and my journal entries just get longer and longer. Today, we spent the morning in our village schools and I don’t think that I have ever had more fun. Every girl has such a distinct personality and we are finally spending enough time with them to begin to know them. Our village, Pirkhali, contains seven smaller villages and today we walked through our third one. As we approached a large group congregated in a square, our translator, Das, told us how the gathering was for the funeral of a two year old boy who had drowned in a pond. That same boy’s brother had drowned two weeks earlier. I thought of my cousin Ruby, who turns two in December. Family is just as important to the people in Pirkhali as it is to the people of Salt Lake City, for many it is all that they have. As we continued on through the village we were accompanied by around 100 kids, literally, and we hadn’t been walking for two minutes before all of us YMAD kids had a child holding both hands. Seriously, there is no better feeling than the feeling you get when a child gives you a grin and an energetic, “Hello!” I’m loving life here.

Maired Mcnally

No comments: