Friday, November 20, 2009

Katy Rupe




Where do I start? Today has been quite eventful. As I write I’m being eaten alive by mosquitoes, but I’m definitely used to it.

Yesterday we walked through our village afterschool as usual. We were looking at the compost pit that Nishtha had donated to a farmer. As we walk we always have the older girls from our school with us and sometimes just random girls from the village. As you walk through you have at least two girls clinging onto you and giggling at everything you say. Yesterday one of the girls that I walked with was so smart and beautiful. She knew most of the things I was asking which is really unusual. I started to ask her if she went to our school and how close she lived but she kept shaking her head. I just figured that she didn’t understand what I was asking and didn’t really think much of it.

Today we arrived at school as usual, girls screaming and hanging out of the windows. Divided them up into groups and began doing the English workshops. Today we were actually early to the school, for once, so a lot of girls came in later. The last girl to walk in the room was the sweetheart I walked with yesterday. Rob came over to tell us that she is actually a dropout and to make sure that she had fun and learned lots of English. As soon as I saw her I beckoned her over to our group and continued through the lesson. She didn’t leave my side the entire time we were there.

I like to think that my time walking with her and talking to her had influenced her to come to school that day. That our simple conversation made her feel comfortable, maybe even possibly inspired her to continue her schooling. I’m not sure what really happened that made her decide to come but in my heart I will always feel like I gave her the confidence to come.

I absolutely love India! I love the people, the food, the humility, and I’ll the things that it has shown me I will never forget. Love you all and miss you!!

8 comments:

Eden MaRee said...

Katy, you make ME want to go to school! Thanks for being such a wonderful example! Miss ya!

Anonymous said...

This is the Katy Rupe? The one thats my sister? haha just kidding... wow, you sound great! i am so so proud of you! keep it up girl... Love Your Bro, Cawa

~Robyn said...

Wow! I have to say "ditto" to Eden's comments and, thanks for sharing! I am now sitting in a puddle of tears for this girl and the difference you all are making for eveyone! (Do they just love your hair--hehehe)

Anonymous said...

Katy-
I am so proud of you. I have been following your adventures and I can't wait until you get home to share it all with me. I just arrived a couple hours ago in Maine and I wish you were with me but now I see that I need to share you with others. Keep up the great work! We love you so mcuh!!! Love Mom and Grandpa, Grandma and David and Rob

Anonymous said...

ooo kitty i was so excited to find your blog:) .. you go girl!! sounds like you are having so much fun! mosquitos love me too so i know how you feel but i miss you and love you! --noelia

Anonymous said...

Katy, You sound terrific! I have alot to learn from you when you get home. I bet I can interest you in crown burger, then we can share our latest adventures. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, AND AM SOOO PROUD OF YOU!!! Your DAD.

Lexi Kontgis said...

katttttttty! It is about time you write a blog, I had to go through courts to see what you guys have been up to. Sounds like you are having an amazing time over there. I am sure you have made a great impact on that little girls life, just like you do in my life! I miss and love you kittt.
be safe.
kontgis.

Anonymous said...

Katy-

I just had lunch here in Maine at a Indian restaurant and was wondering if maybe the Bairds took you to eat lobster in India.
In just a few days we will both be arriving back in Salt Lake and I am giddy with anticipation.
You have always been a "giver". Remember when you gave one of my potted plants to the neighbor Karen Riby when you were only 4 years old. When I asked you if you had seen my pretty new flower pot I had just purchased you told me you gave it away because Karen was sad and you wanted to make her happy. That is typical Katy!
My sky has been not as bright since you left but I know the sky over India is shinning much brighter since you arrived in their midst.
What great role models you have in Greg, Eden, Jodee and Rob. I love you all for all you have done for Katy and our family.
I love you Princess!!!
Mom