Monday, November 16, 2009

Mairead McNalley


I was talking to Andrew today about how it’s easy to daydream about growing up in these villages. The jungles could provide endless entertainment, warm weather year round, and just cruising the streets with your buddies as a kid seems ideal. The children are beautiful and when we drive by in our Jeep and witness them playing games it’s hard to think of their existence as harsh. But it is harsh. When driving to our village I saw children wading in a pond. As we drove past I realized that they were not leisurely playing but working in rice fields. There was one particularly adorable boy, probably four years old, that we met this morning. As his older brother introduced him I saw sores surrounding his shy grin. It is easy for the suffering to get covered up by the romanticism of the jungle and adventure surrounding our trip, it is easy to be distracted by the free-spirit of these children, but it takes only a slightly closer look to realize the strain so many are under. There is just too much to take in here. I try to look everyone I meet in the face and picture what his or her life is like. I have loved every second of this experience so far and know that it will only get better!

6 comments:

linebasa said...

Maddie it's so great to hear what you are experiencing! What a beautiful writer you are...keep the posts coming! Love you, Sam

Unknown said...

Mairead,
Mom is staying with grammy today so I'm posting for us. You sound wonderful and what you're doing and how you're seeing it is incredible to me. We killed usc 55-21. Most points usc has EVER had scored against them. We are #14 in the polls! Bo had an interception and some key tackles. Liam made the traveling squad so he was there to be a part of it, too. Miss you, proud of you. Love, Dad

Unknown said...

My Maddie,
You are seeing life like an artist and a Christian. I am awed by the woman you are becoming, and I'm so grateful for this experience and for your ability to "bring it home" the way you already have for us. Thank you for the amazing work you are doing and thank you to the amazing people you're dong it with, and for. Love, Mairead's mama

wendy said...

Hey Mairead! Student Govt has been following the blog. We are so impressed but what you are doing. We missed you today when no one sang your part during the school song. Keep up the good work & keep posting. We love hearing what is going on over there! Love Ya! Mama C

Anonymous said...

Mickie-
I miss you! I am jealous of your experiences, but keep up the good work!
I love you.
Kacee

Anonymous said...

We've loved reading these! You're wonderful. I know you are leaving such an amazing imprint on the Indian people's lives. I love you lots.
Samantha R