Thursday, November 24, 2011

"Jyoti"

by, Thomas Dale

Now one might think after reading this title that this blog is about our YMAD group called "Jyoti," but it is actually about a little girl I met at my school. The word "Jyoti" means light in Hindi. We chose this title as our group name because of the idea of us bringing hope and light to the children of India. But this girl Jyoti, is actually the one shedding light on me.
Jyoti has light carmel skin, piercing brown eyes, little cute pigtails, and a smile that could brighten anyone's day. Everything about her immediately made her stick out from the very first day. She is very shy and bright as can be. I've watched her very closely trying to understand how she thinks and reacts. When thinking or while shy, Jyoti does this thing where she sticks out her tongue and swings her arms. She also rarely looks me in the eyes when I am talking face to face with her. But I occasionally catch her looking at me and she reacts with the biggest smirk.
Jyoti has taught me many things. The first thing she has taught me is complete and total love. I have never loved someone so much that I have just barely met. It shows that when you come into a situation with a full heart and with good insights, you can love anyone you serve. Second she has taught we how bright one can be. Even though her teachers might not be the best, she excels in two languages, math, and just about everything else. I have never seen such an eager to learn. Last, Jyoti has taught me pure happiness. They saying that money can't buy happiness has been proved to me through Jyoti. She may not have lots of clothes, iPods, or even basic needs, but she is still happy. She still has the biggest smile no matter what her situation is. We all can learn from her example and I am so thankful to have met her.
Now back to family and friends. First off if like to say I miss you mom, dad, Matthew, Andrew, Elizabeth, and William. Thank you for all your support. But I'm not going to lie, I'm not home sick. Don't worry about me too much because all is well. I'd also like to give a shout out to my friends in the SLC. I'm stoked to see you and I hope all is well. thank you to everyone that donated and helped me get her. We are doing great things here in Chamba and I love it! Peace out from India!

No comments: