Monday, November 28, 2011

Early Christmas

It is weird saying goodbye to someone who you may never see again. Today was our last day at the school and orphanage and saying goodbye to those kids has been the most difficult thing for me so far this trip. It started off like every other day at the school with the prayers, exercises and then lessons. The lessons were fun to teach but my favorite part of the school day was giving away all of the gifts.

We brought large duffle bags full of gifts for the children and teachers. We gave out blankets, hats, gloves, bags, school supplies, and new uniform sweaters for all of the students. The look of their faces when they received these gifts made all the hard work to get to India worth it. Nothing could make me happier than the smiles and thank you's from each of the kids. It was like an early Christmas for me. I'm excited for them to put these gifts to use during the upcoming cold weather and during the school year.

Saying goodbye to the kids was heart wrenching. I can usually say "I will see you later" but this time was different. I may not ever see these kids again and knowing this made saying goodbye so much harder. Seeing the tears in their eyes while saying "I love you" was difficult to say goodbye to. I will miss these kids more than they'll ever know and I hope someday I will get the opportunity to come back and visit them again.

My time in India has been fulfilled and I believe I really have made a difference. This has been such a humbling experience and I will never forget the friendships I have made here. I am really going to miss India.


Mom thank you for answering your phone! I loved talking to you. I miss you soooooooo much. Tell everyone at home hello and that I miss all of them too. I love you so much and I will see you Saturday!

Andrea

No comments: