Monday, November 28, 2011

The Ecstatic ERA Children

Working at ERA this week has been spectacular. I absolutely love the kids at my school. Every kid is completely unique and wonderful. There are some that are extremely outgoing, while others are reserved and quiet but outrageously smart. Most of the time I feel like they are teaching me more than I could ever teach them just through their attitudes and smiles. A lot of them speak English really well and I have been able to connect with them in ways I never thought I could before I came to India.

One kid that I have really been able to connect with is Artix. He is one of the smaller kids at the school and he is picked on a little bit by the older, bigger kids. It was a little hard for me to get him to open up in the workshops, but after working with him I have discovered that he is extremely smart and curious. Now, he answers all my questions and is very confident about it. I have noticed that he is kind and giving to all of his classmates. He will give up his spot in the circle to make room for others. His little smile lights up everything around him and the other kids just feed off of his positive attitude.

I fel that in many ways kids in India are the same as kids you would see anywhere else. I thought that the kids would be organized and focused on their studies, and they are most of the time. But they do like to have fun.They love paling games and sports just like American kids. In fact, a lot of my day is spent playing basketbal and "Ride that Pony" with kids at the school. I 've been told that the kids in India are amazing and loving and I'm happy that I have been able to experience that and learn to love them.

Matt Hogan


No comments: