Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On Top of the World


By Jennifer Thatcher

I don’t even know where to begin! This trip has been absolutely amazing and I constantly feel like I am in a movie because everything seems so unreal. If I could describe the village we are in with movies I would say the villages are like the ones in the Emperors New Groove with the mountains from Mulan.

As we drove up, the people stared at us like we were movies stars and I got a taste of what it would be like to be famous. Today was out second day at the schools and I don’t even know how to describe how what an amazing experience it was. I am in the Daya School and have about 18 kids in my group. These kids are the happiest I know. When we walked in the first day I almost started to cry when the kids saluted us and said "hello" in english. When we teach them their eyes are wide with interest and you can tell how much they want to learn.

On the first day we were decorating masks with feathers, Jewels, stickers and buttons. When they were all done we asked them to clean up-some of the kids began scraping off the thing they had just decorated because they thought they could not keep what they just made. Can you believe that!? They are not used to being given any more then the very little they already have!

I wish I could describe every moment or copy all the pages from my journal. It is a wonderful experience and it has been so humbling for me. These kids will teach me more then I could ever teach them.

No comments: