Thursday, April 1, 2010

When Miracles Happen




“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”

This quote, as many of you know, was said by Gandhi and was one of my favorite quotes long before I knew I was going to India. I used to think that it was actually supposed to mean, “If you want to make a difference, make it happen.”
Now, I understand it more.
You have to be the change.
Nothing happens over here that isn’t fought for.
Nothing amazing happens without hours and hours of logistics and planning.
Nothing truly inspiring happens when you’re talking about how bad conditions are over here.
Something starts happening when I, JeiCee Mendez, work my butt off to get to come here and then get butt sores from sitting down traveling for two days straight to get to
Chamba, India.
There’s a lot of butt work involved apparently.

I do all of this to let kids know that there are people who care that they succeed and are happy.
However, MIRACLES start when I change.
When I become more compassionate to be able to teach these orphans.
When I change myself to be able to help people less fortunate.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned its not enough to wish for a change.
To wait for a change.
To hope for a change.
Not even encourage a change.
Not even –I know some might disagree- contribute TO a change.
You have to become the change and believe in it to make a difference.

That’s when miracles happen.

-JeiCee Mendez

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I am glad that you are enjoying yourself over there. I miss you, we all do. I am proud of you. Crista was excited when I brought copy of this and the pictures to her to read. Sherie was excited to. Stay happy and know that I love you. Mom