Sunday, April 11, 2010

What am I doing in India?


LYDIA

I can’t believe it’s almost over. It seems like just yesterday I was getting off the airplane in Delhi and thinking to myself, ‘What am I doing in India?!’ Now all I can think to myself is, ‘What am I doing leaving India so soon?’
It has truly been an amazing experience. One I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. I have learned a lot; like don’t write your name in Hindi on your arm in henna, and don’t make faces at monkeys -they growl, seen a lot; like the TajMahal, the Amber Fort, and the market in Jaipur, and done a lot; like riding a camel, an elephant, and an Indian Jones Jeep. There have been some unpleasant experiences: using a public squatter, some pleasant experiences: seeing eager faces of children as you walk into their school, and some interesting and unforgettable experiences: eating street food, making pipe cleaner bracelets, and falling off the edge of a hill straight in to stinging nettle.
But I would do that over again and more just to see the kids at IRA and Sahoo one more time. The love I have felt during this whole trip is a love I used to think didn’t exist. I love it here, I love the person it has helped me to start becoming.
My feelings for going home are rather mixed because of this. But now, because I have felt this love I’ll never let it go. I will carry this for the rest of my life and for that I am eternally grateful.
Thank you to everyone and everything that has helped make this trip the greatest experience of my life… so far ☺

No comments: