Friday, April 9, 2010

The Final Stretch

Deson


It’s hard to believe that we’re on the final stretch of this incredible journey. In less than a day we’ll be traveling back to homework, obligations, and petty inconveniences so common in America today. For my final blog, I thought I would share just a few observations I have made throughout my travels in India.
First of all, the people of India are so much happier than I thought they would be. It’s amazing! Ask anyone who has been in the car with me, and you’ll know that I spent a lot of my travel time looking out the window and waving at the local people as we passed by. It may sound weird, but it was such a rush to see someone look up with a confused look on their face, then see that confused look turn into a beaming smile of pure joy when they realized you were smiling and waving at them. It was so cool! These people have so little temporally, yet they have so much more in their hearts than many of the great political leaders and businessmen of our world today. The amount of love the Indian people have is so evident and so incredible. They are truly inspiring!
Another thing I’ve learned from the Indian people is that life doesn’t have to be complex to be complete. A typical family in Chamba will start the day early, high above the actually city in a humble home. After tending to the animals and wheat fields, the family members will carry whatever goods they have to sell down the dirt trails to the main city, a distance of between 5 to 10 kilometers each way. If they can afford it, the kids will go off to school while the parents tend to the small store. After spending the day in the city, the family will return home to spend time together away from the busyness of the city. We got to spend a night at one of these homes, and they are so peaceful. The way the Indian people live is so simple, and yet they manage to be so happy. I wonder how life would improve in America if we could learn to concentrate more on relationships, and let everything else fall into place.
We came to India to teach, but in reality we are the ones who have been taught. This has truly been the experience of a lifetime, and I feel sad leaving, but I can now return home with a new resolve to focus more on the important things of life. Thank you to everyone who has made this trip possible, especially my mom and dad. I love you all so much, and I am looking forward to being back. All is well with the YMAD clan, and we’ll be seeing all of you soon.

Deson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Conclusion: We should all move to India so we can throw away our obligations and live a simple life. Education really is a petty inconvenience; how could we remove the many distractions from family and such, with an intelligent mind that wishes to focus on other things? Some Americans find their country to be excellent and take pride in it, but there are some of us who see it as it really is. The U.S. has been through a lot, but it has come to the point where those empty-hearted political leaders have gone too far. I agree with you 100% Deson. Long live Rashtrapati!