Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Face, Masks, and Homework - Eden Rabdau


Stepping out of the airport into the thick, horrible smelling air was a “dream come true.”  The sound of honking and people talking is such a familiar and welcoming feeling to me.  It’s never felt so great to be back in India. I couldn’t contain my excitement! The drive through the Himalaya’s was magical.  It’s not possible to even begin to explain the beauty of these endless mountains.
Hilari, Rachel and I have been working on our hygiene workshop, we brought nail polish, facemasks and embroidery string to make bracelets. Doing the masks was a hoot, maybe one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. The girls weren’t sure exactly how to take it. As the mask dried, their faces got tight, as their faces got tight their smiles stopped. They couldn’t figure out what was going on. After a few funny pictures they started to warm up to the idea.



Tonight I was able to work on homework for two hours with Lata. One of the girls that are staying with us from Kullu. She is 15 years old and has the most contagious smiles. A very shy girl with phenomenal English. I was amazed at how well she spoke English and how quickly she came up with the answers to the questions. She was always curious to know the meaning of a word if she didn’t know it. I loved every second of the two hours and can’t wait to do it all over again tomorrow night.  Lata never lets go of my hand and constantly wants to eat my dried mangos. She is one of the most beautiful girls I’ve ever met. I can’t wait to see what these next few days have in store for us. Everyday is an adventure and I love it. I love India. 

 Eden Rabdau

2 comments:

Eden MaRee said...

I love the picture of Poshi! Way to represent!!

Gma Rab said...

I'm so proud of you and your group--drink it all in!