Saturday, December 3, 2011

You'll Be in My Heart

Saying goodbye to my kids at Kalsuin was in the top 3 hardest things I've ever done. How do you tell kids, you have come to love so much, that your leaving and not coming back tomorrow?

We started out our last day with teaching the English section of the lessons and handing out school supplies, hats, gloves, blankets, and new school sweaters. It was like Christmas morning for them. I didn't think children could be so happy to receive items I take for granted everyday.

After passing out all the gifts, we played one last game with the parachute, then it was time to say goodbye. Luckily Raj was there and we asked him to tell the kids that we love them so much and that they'll always be in our hearts. After saying this, I looked into the eyes of one little girl who had tears streaming down her face. I promised myself I wasn't going to cry, but found that impossible. After school we walked up to the ashram one last time. We had just a little time to say our final goodbyes. I held my little girls in my arms for the last time and told them I loved them.

I will never forget my kids. They'll be in my heart, always. I'm so grateful for the experiences I've had in India. I'm so grateful for the things I've learned from the kids, my leaders, and my fellow youth.

Chole Workman

No comments: