Saturday, December 3, 2011

Unrepared

It has been a couple days since we said goodbye to the children in the schools, but I can't stop thinking about it. My group had finished our lessons early so we would be able to play with our kids longer after lunch. The time flew by and as soon as Naveen ,our translator, told us school was over my heart dropped. I tried so hard to hold back tears but staring at their little faces crammed together in that single classroom was too much. We told them all that we loved them and that we would miss them so much. We walked out of the class and waited for the kids to walk out. I started hugging the ones that didn't live in the ashram because I wasn't sure if I would see them again. When I gave the teachers hugs they were crying. That was the moment I knew we had really made a difference in this school. However small it might have been it didn't matter because I know I made an impact. From the school we began the 3 minute walk up to the ashram. I was still crying, but I knew this was the very last time with the kids so I needed to make the most of it. We played and ran around just like normal, but I couldn't help but think that this was all over soon. Shortly after our group arrived at the ashram, most of the school kids that didn't live in the ashram came to play. We took final pictures, played our final games and it was so much fun. Again time blurred by too fast and we had to say goodbye. I didn't know where to begin, I wanted to let these kids know how much I cared and I would never forget them. I gave the women who run the ashram hugs and they all said "thank you we will miss you." Looking around and seeing giant, continuous tears streaming down all the kids faces broke my heart. They didn't want us to go and I would have done anything to stay longer. This little girl Anjali came up and hugged me and told me to smile. It was such a simple thing to say but I realized I need to put on a brave face for the kids. The last person I hugged was little Rafi. He was so shy but as soon as I put my arms around him he said in the quietest voice "I love you zippy." Thinking about it now makes me so sad. I wish with all my heart I could have spent more time with them. The kids I had the opportunity of getting to know we're amazing. There is no way I will ever forget them. They have really changed my life.

Zippy Ford

PS I can't wait to see my family and Max!! Moo can we get American food the second I land haha? I've never been more hungry!!

No comments: