Saturday, December 3, 2011

Life Changing

Since the beginning of this YMAD journey, we have worked hard to change the lives of children in India. We heard how much our efforts would affect them and how we would be such an impact in their lives. Even in the few weeks we spent with them, we would alter their life forever. I couldn't fully understand all of this until I experienced it. I saw the children improve day by day, whether it was mentally or socially. Just a high five or a sticker for answering a question correctly completely boosted their confidence and increased their desire even more to learn. They were given hope of succeeding in life. I gave it my all and couldn't have been happier with the outcome.

All of this change with the children wasn't even the biggest transformation I've seen on this trip. The biggest change I saw, was in myself. From day one with my kids, I have been humbled. I saw how little they had and saw how happy they were. What they do have is the key to life. They know true happiness. They don't need iPods, movies, and closets full of clothes to be happy. All they need are the simple things in life. Seeing this made me more aware of myself and material things. It has made me so grateful for everything I have. I have been so blessed in my life to be born in the USA into the circumstances I am in. I would be selfish not to give back everything I can. From now on, I will look at life through another lens and do my best to live life to the fullest. The children left a lasting impact on me that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Thomas Dale

No comments: