Sunday, October 18, 2009

Don’t be hatin on my girls!

There are just so many things that I have learned from running The Home For Peace and so many problems that I didn’t even think I have to deal with. What responsibilities do you think would be attached to running this facility? it might be cleaning, making sure home work is done, or even making sure hands are washed, teeth are brushed, and discipline is applied. At least that I is what I thought it would be like; I now just have to laugh at my naive notions. There are certain situations that were not even in the realm of my imagination that have happened.

I never really thought how the locals would accept the children and I am talking about the locals under the age of 13. We have faced several problems with teasing and name-calling. There was one day when we were walking back to our place and the girls looked sad and discouraged, we found out a local girl had been yelling at them, making fun of the fact that they were orphans and that they were of no worth. My natural, never before used, parent instinct to kick some kids butt and talk to their parents over came me. The thing is, I never thought of those kinds of problems, we dealt with the situation and things are now worked out. After that situation I have become conscious of the outward image that is being portrayed by the facilities we are running. I have been trying to make an effort not to refer to the “Home For Peace” as an orphanage because of the negative stereotype that is attached with it. What are some phrases you would use? I really am interested in peoples input.

We also have had difficulties with similar situations at school. One of our girls was forced to sit in the back of the classroom. She was having a hard time because she couldn’t see the board, or even hear the teacher. It was really heart breaking for me because she is one of the girls who is the most determined to further her knowledge, she is always studying and school is very important to her. This problem we have was worked out, but the problem lies deeper.

In some ways we face this same problems in America, the general acceptance of people who are in different situations. I have explained to the girls that it wouldn’t be easy living here and that they were the pioneers of something great. Through watching all of these actions something special has happened, the bond between these seven girls has grown so strong in the last month. Though they come from different walks of lives, different stories, and even different casts. They all have one thing in common; they are striving for a better life and that is the thing that has bound them together. It has been neat to see these girls stick up for each other even when it wasn’t the easiest thing to do. Thing are getting better, the neighborhood kids are starting to warm up. To watch these girls deal with these problems has been so impressive, and the connection that they have is a bond of a deep sister hood.

-James Baird

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you ever know that your my hero?